Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Tim Donaghy: The best thing to happen to the NBA in years?



Tim Donaghy plead guilty today for getting paid to influence the outcomes of some of the NBA games which he officiated. He could serve up to 25 years in prison, if he is not drowned in a Suns fan's spackled jail-cell latrine first.

I know, this guy is a Class-A scumbag. However, I would be shocked if he were the only crooked ref. In my opinion, the quality of refs in just about every officiated sport is below average. Refs have been given such substantial protection from criticism, it has often made me ill. Ludicrous fines are routinely handed down for even hinting that officiating affected the outcome of a game. I think, just like most professionals, they should have to answer for their actions. If they screw up, they should have to publicly apologize, explain why, and receive a demotion.

Increasing referee scrutiny is long overdue, and Tim Donaghy has ushered-in this new era. Sure, it is terrible that he tainted the playoffs for 7 years or so. He has tarnished the game. In my opinion, though, this game I love was already tarnished. I can't count the times I've seen terrible calls change the course of an NBA game.

That will still happen, of course, but hopefully less and less as a result of corruption being brought to the light of day, rather than casually dismissed as conspiracy theory. Eventually, I think the NBA will be better as a result.

So thanks Tim, you sick depraved bastard.

1 comment:

Brad Churchill said...

I agree, I feel as if there are probably a few others in the league who have placed bets on games. Lie detector testing may be a possible solution.