Monday, August 13, 2007

Golf isn't a sport... and the Earth is flat!


A couple of times in class the topic of whether or not golf is a sport has been brought up, but not discussed in detail. I’m interested it seeing what people’s opinions are on this subject.

Personally I’ve been playing golf my whole life. I have always had immense respect for the game but will admit that I haven’t always considered it a sport. The way most amateurs and I play the game would probably be more accurately described as a recreation. But in the last 10+ years a shift has occurred. Now athleticism is a major factor in whether or not a player is successful on tour. Is it a coincidence that the best player on tour is the one in best shape? I don’t believe it is. Many key characteristics that make a football or basketball players skilled in their discipline are comparable to what make golfers good in theirs. Examples are such characteristics as mental strength, flexibility, determination, and of course physical condition/athleticism.

Tiger has been rumored to bench over 300 lbs, squat 500+ lbs, and run sprints that are comparable to NFL athletes (and I assume not lineman!). Some people question this since it’s difficult to find hard data, but one look at his physique and it would be hard to doubt. Many of his nearest competitors are in great shape as well, and even Jon Daly is unbelievably strong and is considered to have the ‘softest hands’ (playing soft shots, not hand texture) on tour, even though he’s a little out of shape.

Basically my argument for why golf is a sport is simple. Take a doubter out to walk 36 holes of golf on a hot summer day and see if he is as tired as playing some pick-up basketball. If athletes are playing a game, competing for money, and entertaining millions of people, how could it not be a sport?

5 comments:

Blazer Fan 1985 said...

I have been playing golf all my life as well and golf is defiantly a sport. Not only is a physically demanding sport but it is one of the most mentally tough sports out there. Its funny because usually all of the people who think golf isn't a sport are usually the people who cant play it successfully. Just a funny thought.

Chris

Middle Relief said...

I've only gone so far as to play 18 holes in one day, never 36. Have walked and carted, and never felt any level of exhaustion when compared to running, football, basketball, baseball, or biking.

The fact the Tiger is so dominant, I think is actually evidence that it is a game played by non-athletes, not a sport. Look what happens when a high level athlete plays a "gentleman's game" - he is on pace to win more times than anyone in the history of it.

Is Bass fishing a sport? Darts? NASCAR? - games that require great skill - certainly yes, sport - I don't think so.

jill rosenberger said...

I agree that golf is a sport. It takes great skill and concentration to excel in the sport. I played golf for my high school, and continued for fun, until an accident made it no longer possible. Not only is it a long way to walk, but also it takes a strong person mentally not to get frustrated. Golf is hard, and anyone who does not think it is a sport should try hitting that little ball 300+ yards.

Rip City 2007 said...

Golf is a sport. It takes talent and precision. I golf but I am not good. It would take a lot of dedication and practice for me to even try to be a decent player. Anyone can play golf, but that doesn't mean they are good at it. Golf takes physical activity to perform. I know plenty of people who cannot play golf anymore because of injuries such as their back, shoulder, neck, knees . . . well you get the point. For me it is a sport.

tlb said...

I will admit that I have never played golf before. Even with that said I can understand your argument because competition in itself, drives a person to become more athletic. The only way to get better at your game is work hard on and off the field. If Tiger can bench and squat that much, its not because he's doing it for fun, he's doing it to become that best period. I think golf is a sport but I also think people identify pro sport with near impossible physical demand, and from the sound of it golf just isn't that way for some people, but that is still not reason to devalue its true nature as a sport.