Friday, August 17, 2007

Should women be allowed to play on the PGA tour?


This debate has been going on for some time now. Should women EVER be allowed to play on the PGA tour? My answer to this question surprises even me... yes! Before going in to my reasoning I have to make a few clarifying statements. Firstly, I don't think that a female golfer should be allowed to play on the PGA tour simply because it would make good headlines. I believe this was the single determining factor in Michele Wie being allowed to play. People were interested to see a 14-year-old girl compete against grown men, and mission accomplished, the ratings were good. But what was the result? Missing cuts and possibly destroying a very promising career. Secondly, I am asking if they should ever be allowed to play, basically asking if a rule should be established to ban female competitors on the PGA tour.

My reasoning for believing that no such rule should be made is simple. What if one day a woman truly dominates the LPGA tour? And I mean true domination. If a woman comes along and wins nine straight majors, 50% of tournaments she play in, etc. who are we to prevent her from showcasing her skills against the best players in the world? I compare this situation to the Annika Sorenstam era. She was truly impressive on the LPGA tour and in my opinion earned the right to try the PGA. But even she failed to be successful, thus I think she forced the bar even higher for future woman competitors; they have to dominate considerably more than even she did. I look forward to seeing if a woman will ever be skilled enough to compete with the boys, and I think to ban the effort would be a pathetic attempt for the ‘good-ole-boys’ to secure their manhood.

4 comments:

jill rosenberger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jill rosenberger said...

You sound surprised that you think women should have the same opportunities as men, why? We deserve the same chances to win the big money, play the courses, go up against the best and show what a woman golfer can do. Did you ever think that the reason why Michele Wie and Annika Sorenstam did not prevail on the PGA was that people thought they wouldn't, and they were the first to try something never done before with the whole world looking on and critiqing them?

Matthew Reymann said...

Sure, they should be able to play. I'll even go a step further. There should be no restrictions in any sport. It would be great to see a woman quarterback, point guard, or whatever.
Golf is a sport that is perfect for coed play, since it doesn't emphasize strength or size. Women golfers don't hit it as far, generally; but they could easily adapt and start outdriving men.
The fact that women have had limited success thusfar proves very little, if anything. I would wager that there are dozens of women capable of being competitive on the PGA tour, and during the next decade, they will begin showing this.

golions84 said...

There's the Professional Golfer's Association, and the Ladies' Professional Golfer's Association. The PGA has no gender distinction in the title as the LPGA does, so I see no reason why, if they can in fact compete, that a woman should be restricted from PGA Tour competition.