Monday, August 6, 2007

Facilitation 8/6: Should fighting be allowed in NHL?



When you watch hockey, it is almost expected to see the players break out into some sort of fight with the opposing team. It brings excitement and fans go crazy. It seems like fighting has been a part of hockey as long as ketchup's been w/ fries. But does that make it right?



So thus the question for this debate is: Should fighting be allowed in NHL games?



Pros:
  • Fighting adds entertainment value to the game aka sells.
  • Gives the fans something to talk about.
  • It's usually fair (equal sized opponents) and consensual.
Cons:


  • Fighting takes attention away from the actual game.
  • Poor players could injure good players and therefore completely cripple the game unfairly.
  • Bad example for younger leagues, making it seem like fighting is just "part of the game."

5 comments:

Bo said...

I’m excited to here the class debate this topic. While I seldom watch NHL, I can honestly say that I would watch it a lot less without the fighting. It seems to me that the NHL’s acceptance of player’s fighting during competition is totally unique when compared to other sports, and they should embrace that. In my opinion, the fighting is one aspect of hockey which makes it entertaining.

Anonymous said...

Great topic. I remember how angry I was the year they removed fighting from hockey video games (represented perfectly in the movie Swingers), but as I've grown older I find fighting to be stupid.

Some things to think about:
1. How often do injuries occur to significant players as a result of fighting?
2. Is there a racial component to fighting being applauded in hockey, but looked down on in the NBA? ESPN loves showing a good hockey fight but portrays NBA fighters as being hoodlums.

(Note: not saying there is -- just raising the issue)

Brad Churchill said...

Of course, how could it not be. It's a part of the game, why don't you remove the skates while your at it?, they are potentially harmful. The fact of the matter is that fighting is a part of hockey history, and to get rid of it would tarnish the game.

Middle Relief said...

NHL ratings and attendance is the lowest in modern history. Maybe fighting is part of the reason, or perhaps it'll be the reason why the stray fan will start to watch again.

jill rosenberger said...

I am really glad that you chose this topic. I would never have really thought about it if it was not a facilitation topic. It turned out to be one that I had the most opinions and feelings about, and I don't even watch hockey. It was one of the best debates in my opinion.