Thursday, August 2, 2007

She's Back!


Apologies for that first post.


Today i would love to talk about Venus Williams. From the time she first stepped into the pros, she has been a force to be reckoned with. Winning 14 majors, Venus has been fierce in the competition for years. Coached by parents, her and her sister Serena have brought an aggression to the sport that some would argue, was not as prevalent before they stepped onto the scene.

Me being an avid tennis fan, I have watched Venus take the competition and eat it up as a sweet snack of victory.


Although I have seen her dominate the game for a while, I have to say that sometimes I wonder if she is really all that inspired. I sometimes get the sense that she gets tired of the sport, and is doing it for reasons other than her own. When I look at how competitive her sister is, it is a severe difference in level of intensity and drive. After defeat, her interviews make her look as though she didn't care she just lost a match, and I wondered if that was the case. She would always make it far, but not far enough to make it to the big show.


Well, all of those concerns when out the window with her performance at the 2007 Wimbledon Championship. She defeated heavy-hitters like Maria Sharopova in straight sets 6-1, 6-3, and high profilers like fifth seed Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-3, 6-4. I don't think I have ever seen her play with such passion, and intensity, and it was nice to she her dominating again. Every match was a chance for her to show spectators like me that she really is that into it, and I'm glad to see that in her.

No comments: