Monday, August 6, 2007

And Yet Another A-Rod story






It appears that Alex Rodriguez has yet again found his way onto the blog. This past weekend the Yankee third baseman hit his career 500th HR, making him the youngest and fastest player to reach the plateau. This is quite the accomplishment for Rodriguez and I am sure an enormous amount of weigh has been lifted from his shoulders. But it appears that the pressure now has shifted to the recipient who was lucky enough to obtain the historic ball from the home run. Walter Kowalczyk of Trenton, New Jersey, is now stuck in a situation that many sports fan dream of being of. What to do with this historic piece of memorabilia?

Kowalczyk is set to go on a local New York radio program and openly debate what he should do with the ball. I personally would give the athlete the first dibs at the ball. I would not openly ask for anything from that athlete, but I would definitely be lying if I said I would not expect anything in return. Fans that sell historic pieces of memorabilia on auctions for a high price, display a tremendous amount of selfishness and greed. Sure its fun to bask in the fifteen minutes of fame when one grabs a historic baseball HR, but that fan should do the right and respectful gesture by chucking it back within the game of baseball.

My question to the rest of the blog/class: What would you do if you caught Barry Bond's 756th HR ball?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be willing to give the ball back to Bonds or MLB with no compensation just the admission from Bond of his illegal use of performance enhancing drugs and an agreement from MLB to put an * on his HOF plaque. If they did that, they can have it.

If not, then I'd give to a charity to raise money.

Mike G.P. said...

$$$ for sure. Were it someone I respect, I might -- MIGHT -- give it back. Bonds is not exactly in that category for me.

Blazer Fan 1985 said...

You have to take the cash money! Bonds doesn't deserve to get that ball back at all. He should give the all time HR record back to Hank!

Anonymous said...

Blaze - not sure how many times I'm ever going to say this - but I AGREE with you.

I think Bonds/Balco's chase of the record, makes me wish I would have been around to see Aaron play (3,000 hits and 755 HRs) - a model of consistency, class in the face of racial pressure, and NO chemicals to enhance performance.

Mid Relief

Blazer Fan 1985 said...

Mid - I am glad we can at least agree on something in the midst of our debates. Good times.

Blaze

t-rex 10S said...

Bonds doesn't deserve the ball, and maybe some charity could use the money, like keeping kids off of steroids or something. As much as he's not my favorite player, I hope A-Rod stays healthy enough or plays long enough to pass Bonds, since he has the best chance.

Anonymous said...

Providing no major injuries I think A-Rod and Albert Pujols have a chance to take the Greatest of All-Time title. Both could end up with 800 plus HRs and 4,000 hits.

Mid

jill rosenberger said...

I would rather auction the ball off for money, and then give it to charity. I have zero respect for Bonds so I would not even consider giving him the ball.

Rip City 2007 said...

Middle Relief I actually agree with you on something! I would throw Bond's ball back, and I don't mean act like I am throwing the real ball but it is a fake one. I would throw the actual ball hit back. I care more about someone being honest and keeping baseball respectful than I would about keeping Bond's juiced up ball.

Mid Relief, I think that would be a very cool thing of people if they did donate the money they get from a ball to charity. It is sad more people do not do things like that.